Off Topic: The Great Breastfeeding Debate

FibroMommy
Talker
Talker
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Off Topic: The Great Breastfeeding Debate

Unread post by FibroMommy »

As to keep Lucy Eades thread about just Lil Lucy I thought I would start this thread and reference a response to Lucy's "Breastfeeding Discrimination" (I put it in quotes since there is some debate on whether she was discriminated against.) I have a notion that this topic is no where near being put out of its misery.

From TTCer RoperFamily2012 :

[youtube][/youtube]

I'll start by pointing out what happened to Lucy was a violation of her LEGAL rights. The BRiCK broke the law. You don't have the choice to respect a law.. You must obey it and deal with it. Plain and simple.
Emcee
Extreme Gossiper
Extreme Gossiper

Re: Off Topic: The Great Breastfeeding Debate

Unread post by Emcee »

As far as breastfeeding goes if you do it good for you, if you give your child formula then good for you too. It's really none of my business. I just hate when people try to puy other moms down for not breastfeeding. As far as breastfeeding in public, I don't mind it either. However, the last picture of Jess breastfeeding I find it kind of distasteful. Yeah, she breastfeeds we get it. Make a damn status about it, why post 1758865674 pics of it. No one cares to see.
I know I would NEVER post pics of my breasts for respect to my husband and also self respect
:love2:
QueenBooBoo1216
Informer
Informer

Unread post by QueenBooBoo1216 »

I'm not sure how there is a debate about being discriminated against. She was clearly told to cover up or leave. Even if she was on notice the lady had no reason to say anything or break the law. How there is even a debate is mind boggling. Each mother has the right to choose how she feeds her baby and not be judged.
thecitylightsburn
Informer
Informer

Unread post by thecitylightsburn »

I don't really see a debate regarding Lucy's video. She was told to cover up. And, she had the nerve to mention the fact that the little girls' in the REC center were showing more cleavage than she was. Seriously? I felt like Joel and her wanted attention, which is why the video was even made in the first place.

I plan to breastfeed, and I wouldn't make it a big deal like Lucy did in her video.
I'm sweating like a sinner in a church.

TaylorKnows

Unread post by TaylorKnows »

thecitylightsburn wrote:I don't really see a debate regarding Lucy's video. She was told to cover up. And, she had the nerve to mention the fact that the little girls' in the REC center were showing more cleavage than she was. Seriously? I felt like Joel and her wanted attention, which is why the video was even made in the first place.

I plan to breastfeed, and I wouldn't make it a big deal like Lucy did in her video.
I'd be pissed off and I'd probably report the woman, but I would not have uploaded that to YT. I don't think the debate on Lucy's thread was whether or not breast feeding in public is okay (I'm pretty sure everyone was cool with it and said she had every right to), the whole issue was Lucy making a spectacle of it. Lucy didn't do this to be an activist. She did it to get a little money for ChevbroRainbowKarsynlyn. I would not be surprised if a lawsuit followed.
QueenBooBoo1216
Informer
Informer

Regardless of her intention it happens all the time. If more women stood up for themselves it would bring more attention to the fact it needs to stop.
TaylorKnows

Unread post by TaylorKnows »

QueenBooBoo1216 wrote:Regardless of her intention it happens all the time. If more women stood up for themselves it would bring more attention to the fact it needs to stop.
You're missing the point though. I agree it should be shown off more, but Lucy did it for all the wrong reasons which bothers me. If I believed she truly did it out of activism, I wouldn't be saying it. The woman was wrong, entirely and I think we all acknowledge that. Lucy's still money grubbing and that's wrong too.
FibroMommy
Talker
Talker

Unread post by FibroMommy »

Seeing how someone made a video response and the nature it was made in I'd say that there is some sort of debate going on about it. I thought it was worth posting so that there could be a broader discussion about the topic without it being about Lucy or clogging her thread.
ihateliars
Talker
Talker

Unread post by ihateliars »

TaylorKnows wrote:
thecitylightsburn wrote:I don't really see a debate regarding Lucy's video. She was told to cover up. And, she had the nerve to mention the fact that the little girls' in the REC center were showing more cleavage than she was. Seriously? I felt like Joel and her wanted attention, which is why the video was even made in the first place.

I'd be pissed off and I'd probably report the woman, but I would not have uploaded that to YT. I don't think the debate on Lucy's thread was whether or not breast feeding in public is okay (I'm pretty sure everyone was cool with it and said she had every right to), the whole issue was Lucy making a spectacle of it. Lucy didn't do this to be an activist. She did it to get a little money for ChevbroRainbowKarsynlyn. I would not be surprised if a lawsuit followed.
:rofl:
dfwmom
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper

Unread post by dfwmom »

TaylorKnows wrote:

I breastfed my kids in public without a cover, have boobs about 10x bigger than Lucy's and no one ever said a thing to me about it anywhere that I went. However, I didn't make a spectacle out of everything. She knew that she was going to have a fight with someone and yet she was still up at the front desk trying to handle business that could have been handled later while she was feeding. Anyone who knows Lucy or has been watching her for years knows that this is her MO. This is completely unsurprising, and she will bring up this incident for YEARS to come. Oh, and Taylor I agree - I fully expect mention of a lawsuit against the woman and/or the community center. This is how she rolls.

This is not about her BF or not BF in public anymore... this is about how Lucy handles herself in confrontational situations. Everyone on her videos fell for it - she instigated a bullying incident against that woman who wronged her by putting the information for that place and the phone number in the description of that video. There was no reason for people who weren't involved to call up there and give their opinion to that woman. You can choose to not use their services or write your congressman/woman to get the law amended to say that no one has the right to tell you to cover up. Calling the center and organizing a nurse-in isn't going to get anywhere or do anything other than dragging this out. It would be hilarious if they would close their doors on that day in protest LOL
surferbunny
True Gossiper
True Gossiper

Unread post by surferbunny »

The crazy woman Lucy looked for that drama, to tell someone to cover up is not wrong imo tbh idc what anyone says to just be walking around with a tit out to even feed a baby in a public place comes off wrong to some..

I will be bfing but I will go about it a different way than that because I can see/understand why someone asked her to cover up and I also agree with the vid some people once they become parents they no longer respect others it is all about their kids and they do not give a damn about others around them, they then scream that the world is anti-children now a days lol

what Lucy did was not disrespectful BUT she was simply asked to cover up, she was not discriminated against (people do not know what this word means anymore) you can not expect people to have the same mindset as you ON bfing I mean common sense

try to understand where others are coming from ..before yelling BREASTFEEDING DISCRIMINATION try to avoid drama instead of rolling around blissfully in the drama and attention like the filthy pig Lucy

I do not agree with this ladies opinion on naked water birth :?
baby # 2 due early 2015 ..fingers crossed for PINK!!
QueenBooBoo1216
Informer
Informer

You guys are letting your dislike for Lucy get in the way of the issue. Her friend was approached first. The lady at the center was the one in the wrong to begin with. The fact that she kept at Lucy not once but three times is ridiculous! Had they not recorded it would anyone believe it happened? Doubt it. Had it been a new mom or less expierenced mom the lady went after she could ruin what is meant to something positive. No I'm not missing the point I just don't care who it was only that it brought attention to the fact it needs to stop!
dfwmom
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper

Unread post by dfwmom »

QueenBooBoo1216 wrote:You guys are letting your dislike for Lucy get in the way of the issue. Her friend was approached first. The lady at the center was the one in the wrong to begin with. The fact that she kept at Lucy not once but three times is ridiculous! Had they not recorded it would anyone believe it happened? Doubt it. Had it been a new mom or less expierenced mom the lady went after she could ruin what is meant to something positive. No I'm not missing the point I just don't care who it was only that it brought attention to the fact it needs to stop!
Just a quick question then... do you think that what she is doing right now is going to make harrassment of BF mothers stop? Do you think that it is going to give anyone who wouldn't previously BF in public the confidence to start? Do you think that this center is going to change their policy over this?

I say no to all questions. Yes, it brings attention to the fact that mothers get harrassed in public, but there still is no accountability on businesses to make it stop. And her video shows me that if I go out in public BF-ing my child that I am going to be harrassed so I should not do it. Yes, it lets me know that I have rights but it tells me that I am going to have to deal with people like this in person. And no, the center is not going to change their policy unless they have to. It's business and she is trying to make it personal. All in all, even if it's negative, this is attracting attention to their center and that is all businesses, even govt funded ones are concerned with. There have been NUMEROUS stores in the DFW area that have had nurse-ins lately because of issues like this and all of them are still in business and doing fine with the same policies that they had before. All this does is make her look like a drama queen.
QueenBooBoo1216
Informer
Informer

But it might give just one mom the courage to stand up for herself. Is Lucy the only one who has recorded this happening? No I've seen plenty of videos in YT and the news. I also know that a few times it has worked and the store/resturant has gone about informing employees about the law and made sure it doesn't happen again.
pumpkinseed
Amateur
Amateur

Unread post by pumpkinseed »

dfwmom wrote:Just a quick question then... do you think that what she is doing right now is going to make harrassment of BF mothers stop? Do you think that it is going to give anyone who wouldn't previously BF in public the confidence to start? Do you think that this center is going to change their policy over this?

I say no to all questions. Yes, it brings attention to the fact that mothers get harrassed in public, but there still is no accountability on businesses to make it stop. And her video shows me that if I go out in public BF-ing my child that I am going to be harrassed so I should not do it. Yes, it lets me know that I have rights but it tells me that I am going to have to deal with people like this in person. And no, the center is not going to change their policy unless they have to. It's business and she is trying to make it personal. All in all, even if it's negative, this is attracting attention to their center and that is all businesses, even govt funded ones are concerned with. There have been NUMEROUS stores in the DFW area that have had nurse-ins lately because of issues like this and all of them are still in business and doing fine with the same policies that they had before. All this does is make her look like a drama queen.
This may all be true, but IMO it's still worth it to stand up for yourself and make it public. How do any changes in policy get made, ever? Activists advocate for what they think is right, they alert the media, they fight for policy changes. It won't happen overnight, but I appreciate every single news story and nurse-in because it's another step on the road toward normalizing breastfeeding in public.

I guess it just depends on whether you think NIP will EVER be universally okay. I think, based on public opinion now, it will. If you don't, then I can see how you would think that alerting the media is pointless and attention whore-y.
FLOSSY77

Unread post by FLOSSY77 »

This is annoying. We are not letting our dislike for her get in the way. We are a majority of nursing mothers. We all agreed it was wrong and illegal. We just said she was looking for trouble. So what if her friend was approached first. That might have given her the idea.This is not a debate on bf in public. This is a debate on how far you think Lucy would go to cause or stir up drama for her yt channel. So it should be under Lucy brick. Majority believes she wanted attention. The bad kind. On WBW. For views. To further her channel. To be a bf queen. Hmmm? Seems like it worked. None of us give a shit about her tatas. We are debating her personality.
Shameless
Amateur
Amateur

Unread post by Shameless »

I'm going to play Devil's Advocate here and wonder if perhaps a lot of these women who are being asked to leave places, etc. is because they have their whole boob/s on show and are doing it in a very non-discreet manner.

Let me start by saying that I am 100% for breastfeeding and in a perfect world you shouldn't have to cover your child with a blanket to feed them in public but unfortunately we don't live in a perfect world.

Where I live (Australia) you see mothers breastfeeding their babies all the time and they will usually have a light scarf or something draped over to prevent flashing the entire restaurant. It is nearly impossible to even notice that they are feeding their baby.

I can see that despite it being against the law (many people are unaware of this law) that it may be easier to ask someone to feed their baby elsewhere than to say 'look lady, you are flashing your entire boob to the whole restaurant and people are complaining, could you please cover up?'
ladybug
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper

Unread post by ladybug »

What's sad is when you get dirty looks while being COVERED and breastfeeding. We were at an outdoor restaurant a couple of months back and I took the baby out of the stroller and bf her under a cover while trying to eat my lunch. This young couple keep giving me dirty looks (mostly the female) and rushed through their meal and made sure to give me a disgusted look as she walked by me and left the restaurant. Her whole attitude was like, how dare you do that in front of me while I'm trying to enjoy MY meal. Ugh.

Sometimes I feel like I can't win!!
hjl226

Unread post by hjl226 »

ladybug wrote:What's sad is when you get dirty looks while being COVERED and breastfeeding. We were at an outdoor restaurant a couple of months back and I took the baby out of the stroller and bf her under a cover while trying to eat my lunch. This young couple keep giving me dirty looks (mostly the female) and rushed through their meal and made sure to give me a disgusted look as she walked by me and left the restaurant. Her whole attitude was like, how dare you do that in front of me while I'm trying to enjoy MY meal. Ugh.

Sometimes I feel like I can't win!!
I always try to cover my son up when we are out just because I feel awkward but hes at the age were he wants to yank the blanket off. I would love for someone to give me a look or say something lol

Return to “TTC, Pregnancy, and Parenting”