Children and electronics.

subject99
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper
Has thanked: 0

Children and electronics.

Unread post by subject99 »

When is to early? and when is it appropriate?

Here in the Catholic School System in the school my niece went to they started letting them log on to computers in grade 1 or 2.
I come to find out my children's father has been letting our son play games on his old samsung galaxy. He is only playing bejewelled blitz and temple run. Apparently this has been going on for a bit now. Not long. I was very strict about no tv, no computer, no nothing. Right from when my son was born and until his baby sister came home from the hospital. He never watched tv. Well I shouldn't say never I would let him watch Cars or a Disney movie when it was a rainy day. But I was very strict of no tv in general. Anyways point is my son comes home tonight and his father was being a real lazy tool today and let him bring the phone to my house, but it was about to die. So, he goes and tells me to get my brand new samsung tab 3 and to download these two games. I said why and he responded with so he can play. Well I don't want him playing. I am in the middle of cooking dinner and wasn't going to argue so they both set it up. Bed time rolls around and he flips because I said one more game and then time to get ready for bed. well full blown mental brake down happens because his sister took it from him. So, he's on the couch literally balling begging for it back. I go and sit down beside him and pull him in for a big hug with his head on my shoulder and him facing me. I ask him whats wrong, he says he is sad. I asked why, he says because he doesn't have his game. I told him not to worry and that it will still be there in the morning after you take a big long sleep and wake up with the sun. In the end both children started balling because once I had my son clam and him with his blanket and half dressed in pjs my daughter comes walking over so I take the tab from her and oh my word she has a break down. I put the tab away from both of them. Then they BOTH start having a break down.

so a few questions.

Should I be worried about this? I feel like I should and shouldn't. I know he will be introduced to them once in gets to primary school and most definitely in middle school. But I just don't want him to just sit there all day and whine and scream his he doesn't have it. At his father's house they aren't as strict and don't follow my rules. They only have been getting him for just under a year now. So he knows and learned how to get his way at one house and push to see how far he can get away with me when he returns.

Anyone else let their children play with ipads, iphones, or tabs? If so can you guide me on what you do? I never ever let my children touch the tab or my iphone. But with what just happened tonight and then obviously knowing about them being introduced to them very early once they start school, i'm not sure how to approach this.

Thoughts and opinions!?
gypsophila
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper
Been thanked: 0

Re: Children and electronics.

Unread post by gypsophila »

I think Alberta makes you provide your kindergarten kid with a freaking ipad. That is ridiculous, and obviously not everyone can afford it. I feel like the schools should provide school versions of stuff like that, not the parents. It sets a bad precedent IMO. Kids need to learn things by being active and hands-on, not by staring at screens. I let my daughters watch Disney movies on dvd, and they each had 1 tv show they could watch. TV is a bad habit for kids. Same with the techy stuff.

Sorry, I went off-topic there. I think you are doing the right thing by limiting access to tv and ipads/phones. Kids lack the ability to set limits for themselves with such things, and really, they aren't very educational.
“Three things cannot be long hidden: the sun, the moon, and the truth.”- Buddha
subject99
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper

That is sad. Glad I don't live in Alberta. I know in the near future my son will have access to a computer but not until school.

What I ended up doing was hiding my tablet and saying it's sleeping. After a few hours he forgot about it and we all played with kilp klops, read books, and danced to the radio. Once my daughter had lunch at 12 he started asking for it again so I said. "You must have left it at daddy's, you'll have to find it tomorrow". He had a little fit but no tears this time and seemed to handle it better.

I'm just going to have a chat with with his dad and just ask to keep it to a bare minimum or not at all. I'm really not comfortable with this all. It all seems way to early and fast in my eyes.
Bonnie
Wallflower
Wallflower

Unread post by Bonnie »

I find it's a way to occupy the child without having to get involved, which is not right. I would throw a fit at my ex if he were to let our son play games for hours upon hours. It's bad for their development AND their eyesight.

That being said, with so many parents hooked to their phones day and night can we really blame kids for being curious and wanting part of the attention the technology gets?
ladybug
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper

Unread post by ladybug »

My sons in a catholic private school also and the kids are allowed to bring electronic devices to play before and after school. The older kids are issued iPads for educational purposes. Since last year he has become OBSESSED with the game minecraft. He's only 7 and it makes me feel so bad. I refuse to let my mom buy him an iPod for Christmas because I know he would sit and play it all the time! I just want him to be a little kid and enjoying his soccer and playing outside, the simple stuff. What makes it worse is the neighbor boy across the street has his dads old phone and plays minecraft all day long. My son wants to go outside and I catch them sitting on the neighbors doorsteps looking at the phone. The neighbors literally use the device as a babysitter for their son so they don't have to worry about him.
subject99
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper

Bonnie wrote:I find it's a way to occupy the child without having to get involved, which is not right. I would throw a fit at my ex if he were to let our son play games for hours upon hours. It's bad for their development AND their eyesight.

That being said, with so many parents hooked to their phones day and night can we really blame kids for being curious and wanting part of the attention the technology gets?
That is a very valid point. Adults are very addicted to their phones. I am on my phone a lot but I shield my usage from my kids so they hardly see me on it. I am mostly active on my phone when they are sleeping/napping. I use my phone to take photos throughtout the day and send the pictures to their family. The only time they normal see me on the phone is if I'm sending pictures, in the car (as a passenger obviously. I don't drive). Other than that I try my best to hide and send the text messages. Some parents are just on their phones 24/7. I try my best but in the end the kids aren't dumb. They know and see everything.
subject99
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper

ladybug wrote:My sons in a catholic private school also and the kids are allowed to bring electronic devices to play before and after school. The older kids are issued iPads for educational purposes. Since last year he has become OBSESSED with the game minecraft. He's only 7 and it makes me feel so bad. I refuse to let my mom buy him an iPod for Christmas because I know he would sit and play it all the time! I just want him to be a little kid and enjoying his soccer and playing outside, the simple stuff. What makes it worse is the neighbor boy across the street has his dads old phone and plays minecraft all day long. My son wants to go outside and I catch them sitting on the neighbors doorsteps looking at the phone. The neighbors literally use the device as a babysitter for their son so they don't have to worry about him.
I went to an Anglican private school. It was middle and upper school. It was mandatory that we all had an MacBook Pro. Which was issued through and by the school for 1,000 with all the added stuff we need like word doc, PowerPoint etc all that. Private schools are very different to public and catholic. We have more in them I find. To me it just seems so early. But times are changing but do the kids really need to become that lazy and depended on all these electronics to learn? What happened to hard work and creativity?

You're right. People do use electronics for babysitters. Don't get me wrong. I've thrown on a movie when I was pregnant to occupy my son so I could shower. Once in awhile is okay. But to catch kids sitting on a porch playing with a phone. To me that is sad. I hope I don't catch my kids doing that. They would hate me hahaha if take the bloody electronic away.

Speaking of Christmas my friend wanted to buy my son that new iPod for kids. I told her fuuuuck no. Buy books and cars. I refuse that as well.
ladybug
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper

Unread post by ladybug »

^^^ yep it is sad. Thats why we told our son he wasn't allowed to 'play' with him if he brought electronic devices outside.
FLOSSY77

Unread post by FLOSSY77 »

People buy this crap for young kids as babysitters..and for their own ego. What will they have to look forward to in the future? Some kids use ipods at two but can't stack blocks. ADD CULTURE.
VolcomCherry
Gossiper
Gossiper

Unread post by VolcomCherry »

My sons 4 in a public kindy and they use iPads almost every day! I was shocked! My son has asked Santa for one this year howvee I've spoken to Santa and it seems he may not get one
subject99
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper

I'm just not understanding the fascination of using iPads in school.... Either I'm really dumb when it comes to electronics or the schools are becoming epically lazy. My niece started a new school 4 hours away from where they use to live and go. My son will be starting in the new school she is in now. I'll have to ask what electronics they are using now.
subject99
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper

Update on the electronics.

I still don't allow it at all in my house :). I have hidden my tablet I indefinitely in my top drawer of my dresser so my son can't get to it and only take it out when he is not home or when he is sleeping and hide the cords with it. I also have put a pass code on my phone as well do he can't access any apps only phone if he were to get my phone. So he can't get nothing aty house :). I have spoken to his father and nanny and when he goes over he only gets 10 mins with nanny when she gives the okay and daddy gives 15 if he ask Hims. But nanny wins the battle so it's usually only 10 mins.

Return to “TTC, Pregnancy, and Parenting”