Migraines?

blackbetty
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper
Has thanked: 0

Migraines?

Unread post by blackbetty »

Who gets them and what do you do about them?

I have been MISERABLE over mine for over a week. Today I woke up feeling like I'm gonna puke every time I move cause my head hurts so bad.
#FreeBen
briannaspeaks
Gossiper
Gossiper
Been thanked: 0

Re: Migraines?

Unread post by briannaspeaks »

Could you be addicted to caffeine?

"She generally gave herself very good advice, (though she very seldom followed it)."
aperecium
Amateur
Amateur

Unread post by aperecium »

I do get migraines. Had one last week in fact. Thankfully mine never last longer than three days. I just try to sleep through them, of course that is not always possible. And once in a while I get one that is so painful that I can't sleep. I try to avoid painkillers since nothing really works. I could take all the ibuprofen in the world and it would do nothing. I have tried sumatriptan because my doctor said it helps, but it did nothing. The only medicine I found really works for me is ketoprofen. That is kinda strange, since I think it is for muscle pains, but it works magic on me. When I feel really bad (to the point where I can't even sleep) or when I can't afford to spent a whole day in bed I take one pill and after around 45 minutes I am good to go for another 4-6 hours (I only feel like I was beaten in a head, but that's bearable).

I do have migraines with aura (not always though). That means before I get a headache my vision gets all messed up, for example my field of vision gets very narrow, i see strange zigzags and sometimes my view is all shaky. That's something I can't help. I just have to let it pass. There is no way of me reading, using computer or watching tv at that time, but I can do general tasks, like making tea, haha. It's still pretty annoying and it makes nauseous and teary, so I try to lie down during that too.

I am having migraines pretty much since high school, usually once every two moths, but it's in no way regular. sometimes I go six months without one, sometimes I get two or even three in a month. The worst time was last year, when I was literally going from one migraine onset to another. I had them pretty much all the freaking time. It turned out I had hypothyroidism and after I fixed that I hoped that my migraines will be all gone but they simply went back on an old schedule. But to be fair I am glad that at least I don't get them THAT often any more.

One more thing. When I lie in bed and wait for the pain to go away I like to imagine a drill drilling into my skull. There is no blood, just air that leaves through the hole in my forehead, lowering the pressure. I know it sounds crazy, but it may be the proof that in fact I am just an airhead, haha.
blackbetty
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper

briannaspeaks wrote:Could you be addicted to caffeine?
Probably but it wouldn't be from withdrawal, I have a cup or two of coffee every day.

I don't take painkillers for them usually because I get withdrawal headaches that are as bad as the migraines. Sometimes I will take some Motrin and Tylenol together and it doesn't get rid of the headache but it will take the edge off of it enough for me to function for basic tasks - supervising my kids and cooking etc. I get nauseous and sometimes I have aura with my migraines also. Super sensitive to sound and motion. It's so horrible. My dr says he doesn't know what my trigger could be. I have shitty insurance so he is hesitant to do much diagnosing because he doesn't want it to be a pre existing condition when I get a new job soon. He says there are things he can prescribe but that I probably couldn't afford them. :/ It is so not fun.
#FreeBen
sleep84
Super Moddie
Super Moddie

Unread post by sleep84 »

I used to get cluster headaches, now not so often anymore but I'm incredibly sensitive to any kind of stress or tireness and I get a terrible migraine. Sometimes I can keep just one eye open.
For me it can be triggered by anything. Sometimes it's hormonal (my hormones are out of whack), or I didn't drink enough water, or I didn't eat enough, or my eyes get tired, or too strong lighting.... anything. I think that my bite and my jaw structure have a lot to do with it, as well.

Usually it inflames the whole nerve on a side of my head and even my teeth on that side hurt. Lately I also get migraines with nausea (and sometimes even vomiting).

I chew paracetamol tablets (I don't swallow them anymore, I chew them so that are quicker and I have to take less of them. Before, I needed 1500mg for a headache).

Mostly I just try to block it with the meds when I feel like it's coming. I have to stop it before it gets very bad in full-blown curling-my-toes want-to-cry kind of pain.. that's the only thing that works usually.
up all night, got demons to fight
whatsername_

Unread post by whatsername_ »

I took topimax for my migraines.
Didn't really help, so I just stopped.

I was pulled out of high school and placed into a different school because my migraines are stress related.
If I don't get enough sleep, they're dibilitating.
aperecium
Amateur
Amateur

Unread post by aperecium »

Yeah, I can't put a finger on what is my trigger either. Definitely perfumes and other intensive smells are one, but not the only. I don't wear perfume any more nor I go to perfume stands to even have a few sniffs. I also get migraines if I spent a couple of hours in a shopping centre. I am not sure whether it is the light there, the amount of people or air condition, but there is a trigger there. It may be just the amount of different smells. I also often get migrianes when I am tired. My friend gets them after she has chocolate. I don't envy her that. ;d

I also feel so dehydrated when I have migraine, I keep drinking and peeing non stop. That's why I suspect that perhaps dehydration may be another trigger, but I am not sure.
blackbetty
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper

whatsername_ wrote:I took topimax for my migraines.
Didn't really help, so I just stopped.

I was pulled out of high school and placed into a different school because my migraines are stress related.
If I don't get enough sleep, they're dibilitating.
They put me on that when I was going through drug trials for my PTSD symptoms and it literally made me act like a crack head. Grinding my teeth and shit.

I think I will schedule an eye appt, maybe my glasses aren't strong enough and the eyestrain isn't helping my migraines I'm sure.
#FreeBen
briannaspeaks
Gossiper
Gossiper

Unread post by briannaspeaks »

I'm going through caffeine withdrawals these last few months, trying to better my health. I use painkillers, Excedrin Migraine is what I use and I take more than recommended. It's the only thing that works for me.

I heard that Rosemary helps with headaches/migraines. Fresh Rosemary for the most part. I tried it years ago but I didn't help my head, I suspect you have to eat like a handful or two then. But maybe worth a shot, haha.

"She generally gave herself very good advice, (though she very seldom followed it)."
subject99
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper

Unread post by subject99 »

I just got put on topiramate for my massive everyday non-stop migraines.
whatsername_

Unread post by whatsername_ »

Topirimate was good/bad for me.

Suppressed my appetite but made me very sluggish. Even intensified my headaches/blurred my vision.

It was horrifying, lol.
Topimax helped a bit but I still didn't like how it made me feel.
blackbetty
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper

whatsername_ wrote:Topirimate was good/bad for me.

Suppressed my appetite but made me very sluggish. Even intensified my headaches/blurred my vision.

It was horrifying, lol.
Appetite suppression was the only good effect for me! I couldn't eat for a week.
#FreeBen
subject99
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper

Unread post by subject99 »

blackbettybamf wrote:
whatsername_ wrote:Topirimate was good/bad for me.

It was horrifying, lol.
Appetite suppression was the only good effect for me! I couldn't eat for a week.
I already have that issue due to the stiffness of my jaw not being able to open. I don't want suppression of appetite. I want foooooooooood! I just started on them though. Only day 3 of 25mg. Working up to 100mg 2x a day plus BuTran patches.
lovemyckc
Amateur
Amateur

Unread post by lovemyckc »

I take propanolol every day to prevent my migraines. I was getting them 3-4 days of the week and now I only get them 4 or 5 times a month. When I do get them the best thing I do is get an ice pack and put it on the back of my neck. It helps long enough to numb the pain so I can pass out.
Lady6
True Gossiper
True Gossiper

Unread post by Lady6 »

Migranes are the worst! I hate when people say stupid things like 'it's just a headace'
obviously they've never had one.
I saw a neurologist for mine & he prescribed me some medication
Originally the dr said I was having cluster headaches, but he said no way. They
are very not seen in women, unless of menopause.
And are accompanied by other symptoms (like runny nose or something) which i did not have.
He said they tend to come around in cycles. I get mine every 5 years or so,
every day, lasting for 2 weeks to 1 month. He also said that they tend to
But they are horrible!!! I'm so grateful for the medication.
deviswolowitz
Wallflower
Wallflower

Unread post by deviswolowitz »

Many people who suffer from migraine begin by treating themselves with over-the-counter medications. Sufferers sometimes consult their doctor as symptoms become more severe and disabling. Doctors diagnose migraine by analyzing the symptoms, conducting medical tests and eliminating other possible causes of the headache. Diagnosis is not always easy, however. Migraine is a moving target: symptoms are hard to evaluate and can change from one attack to the next.
Farrus
Amateur
Amateur

Unread post by Farrus »

I often have headaches, I noticed that I often have high blood pressure and because of this my head often hurts. My doctor recommended that I take a course Cryomed cryotherapy. The cryosauna helps to remove inflammation from the joints, exfoliates, tightens the skin and treats migraines. You can read more about this on the Internet.
SaraShulman
Amateur
Amateur

Unread post by SaraShulman »

I recommend paying attention to vacuactivus cryotherapy. It will help you relieve stress and rebalance your body. I also recommend good sleep and healthy food.
JessieJim
Wallflower
Wallflower
Discord name: JessieJim

Unread post by JessieJim »

You can also try massages, I've heard it can help.

Return to “Health”