Need advice on hair.

This section contains locked and/or inactive discussions from 2012-2014!
subject99
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper
Has thanked: 0

Need advice on hair.

Unread post by subject99 »

So my hair has been a little crappy since I've had my daughter. It's been growing long and fast. But it's soooo tangled and always in knots. I wash it every other day or every third day. It's hard for me to wash because of the jaw surgeries and the pressure so to be honest it's quite the chore for me. I will add a photo of what I use. I let my hair air dry and I don't flat iron or anything like that. If i do it's once a month maybe twice/three times. The last time I had my hair done was (I think August). I was suppose to go in November. I do keep up with my hair maintenance and go the usual 2-3 months to get the split ends trimmed and I get red put in my hair also. But since my parents moved in September everything has been off. Anyways. Anyone have advice? I'm sure I could google products and read reviews as well. I'm not sure if this matters but I'm a natural blonde and colour my hair a brown/red.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
thegooseiscooked

Re: Need advice on hair.

Unread post by thegooseiscooked »

Well, It sounds like it's quite dry. Hence the tangling. Perhaps a deep conditioning once a week will help and maybe stop dying it for a while until it recovers?

Personally, I've never found expensive shampoos and conditioners to be any better than stock standard supermarket brands. I have seen the brand you're using but have never used it so can't comment. Obviously it's not working for you though so perhaps time for a change?

Hair can take a long time to settle down after the birth of a child. I'd try to cut down the number of times you are washing....perhaps wash every 4 days only and rinse it with conditioner instead on the off days.

I'm no expert though. Stress can be a contributor too!
sleep84
Super Moddie
Super Moddie

Unread post by sleep84 »

I heard that using a mask of 100% pure coconut oil on your hair can be good too. I never used it, because I still can't find it here. But apparently that stuff can be some kind of miracle for many things. :)
If you keep using just one brand after a while your scalp and hair can get so used to it, that it doesn't work anymore.

I'm not an expert or a professional of any sorts, though. Especially when it comes to the changes after pregnancy :) Hormones have a huge impact on skin and hair, they reflect your general health and well being too.

I'm not too fond of using L'Oreal products, but I remember that there was this Elvive conditioner for dyed hair that was really good.
Or at least it worked for me.
I think it really depends on your hair.
I used some Sunsilk stuff, on me ...the horror. My hair looked greasy as soon as I dried them! Panten Aqualight...something. double horror!
up all night, got demons to fight
placebo
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper
Been thanked: 0

Unread post by placebo »

In colder months, humectants, products that tie IN moisture are good. Pantenol, glycerin, sorbitol, honey.

I am somewhat in same situation with my hair as you are now every winter. I have vegetable glycerin (Heritage store) which I occasionally mix in with my conditioner (along with avocado oil which doesn't really leave any greasy residue behind). Put a shower cap on and then do something for an hour before rinsing off. Then few drops of avocado oil rubbed to my lengths from ears down. Sometimes I add a silicone based oil as well, but when my hair is at it's driest I try to avoid anything that builds up easy and blocks the moisture and therefore requiring me to use deep cleansing shampoo which itself is drying.

Hope this helps :)
subject99
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper

Unread post by subject99 »

Thanks ladies. I have been debating to change products. Have no idea to which one. Now I need advice on that. I have put straight coconut oil on my hair while I was pregnant and noticed a huge improvement but I haven't done it since. I should probably do that again. Guess I better go buy some pure organic coconut oil. Blaaah. Stupid hair.
placebo
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper
Been thanked: 0

Unread post by placebo »

http://www.iherb.com/Now-Foods-Solution ... =null&ic=1
http://www.iherb.com/Heritage-Products- ... =null&ic=2
http://www.iherb.com/Pure-Basic-Natural ... =null&ic=2

These are the hair savers for me. I occasionally stray and try something else, but always go back to these + one rec conditioner. Shampoo's vary for me, I just get whatever silicone free ones I find at grocery store for dry hair.

Return to “Locked/Inactive Discussions”