How do you think you fit in with people?

This section contains locked and/or inactive discussions from 2012-2014!
Littlewaltz
Gossiper
Gossiper
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

How do you think you fit in with people?

Unread post by Littlewaltz »

This might not be the right phrasing of the question but I will try my best. I have done a lot of...self-examination recently as I am thinking of making some really big changes in my life and I got to thinking how much of a weird mix of things my life is.

I don't think I have ever really "belonged" somewhere, always sort of an amoeba. Don't get me wrong I have friends, close with family, a partner and all of the "normal" things but socially and sort of "in my spare time" I am totally different and have very little in-common with most people my age and otherwise. I am involved in a lot of activities like dance, gymnastics, soccer, rollerblading (the aggressive kind, not the roll around the park kind), video games, and car racing. So all my friends are mostly divided into groups according to what we have similar interest in and I am sort of just stuck floating around between them but no real foundation anywhere.

My dance friends think I am nerdy for playing video games, my racing friends give me crap all the time about dance, like none of my friends would ever be friends should an occasion arise where I wanted them to be all together.

Is this a common thing and/or have you experienced this also? Or am I just awkward, lol.
Don't confuse my personality with my attitude.
My personality is who I am and my attitude depends on who you are.

gypsophila
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper

Re: How do you think you fit in with people?

Unread post by gypsophila »

Sounds like your life is full! It's okay to have different friend groups. Probably better. Are you the type who feels more energy when you're around a bunch of people? Or does it drain your energy?

What do you want to change?
“Three things cannot be long hidden: the sun, the moon, and the truth.”- Buddha
Littlewaltz
Gossiper
Gossiper

Unread post by Littlewaltz »

gypsophila wrote:Sounds like your life is full! It's okay to have different friend groups. Probably better. Are you the type who feels more energy when you're around a bunch of people? Or does it drain your energy?

What do you want to change?
Most of the time I like being around other people and socializing. I don't feel good if I don't get out and do at least one activity a day, I have to keep busy either physically or mentally.

I am planning to move to California from Ontario, Canada so I had to think about the changes that would have to be made, I won't easily be able to just pick up and move and continue to do all of the things I do now, not knowing anyone aside from my boyfriend.
Don't confuse my personality with my attitude.
My personality is who I am and my attitude depends on who you are.

gypsophila
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper

Unread post by gypsophila »

I think the change in climate will allow you to find different hobbies, although it seems like what you like can be done anywhere. I wouldn't ever move to the US for any reason, lol. It's something we had to consider a few times and we always balked. But you sound really outgoing and active, and there are just so many new things you could participate in there. You could do things year round!! When people there are freezing, you'll be laughing. :) I actually love moving and relocating, so to me that's a major plus in my books.
“Three things cannot be long hidden: the sun, the moon, and the truth.”- Buddha
subject99
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper

Unread post by subject99 »

I feel you littlewaltz my fellow Ontarioian (honestly wtf are we called?) we shall miss you.

I never really fit in either. I was a scholar hockey player since I was 3 years old. Playing boys contact hockey being the only girl on the team. Girls always jealous of me because I was always around the guys 24/7 even during middle school after hockey etc. girls never imbed me. I was always an active person from hockey, boxing, competitive swimming, badminton (just the high school team every year), I tried soccer one year but those girls that didn't like me because I played hockey and was better at soccer than them bullied me to the point I said fuck you and quiet. I brought them to my house after Saturday morning practice put an effort in to be their friends and they still gave me a hard time. The coach called me begging to come back to the team. Begging and pleading I'm the best player they got. I said well to bad. I'm not coming back to that bullshit. I'm clearly to skilled. I'm the only one who scored two goals in the whole entire tournament. Anyways I'm a good athlete and people don't dig that so hard to fit in. No matter what sport I do I'm just naturally good at it. Probably not now though it's been forever haven't done much after having two kids.

I'm into Japanese anime so once people hear that they look at me with two heads and then that's it. I generally don't fit in at all. I'm two bold and blunt. I tell it like it is. I've had plenty of friends during highschool and they all day they love me and love that about me because they know I'll give an honest opinion but sometimes I feel like they don't like that and don't want to be around that. They still keep in touch with me to this day and still after every conversation say love you. I've even had a few old best guy friends confess they had the biggest crushes on me.

In general I care about the friends that I have, I'll always have their backs, I'll always be there for them. No matter if it's been 10 years since I spoke to them. We were good friends during high school and they didn't steer me wrong and the only thing that happened was we grew apart but we said hello here and there on Facebook and liked a few pictures here and there. Damn straight I'll have there back till one of us dies.

I'm moving also and I feel like I won't fit in also. In about 27 days a whole new city, new people. I feel I won't fit in either. I'm to bitchy and to rigged. I'm to honest about my opinions and stand my ground. Fml.
Kayliecoburn
Gossiper
Gossiper

Unread post by Kayliecoburn »

I personally have a REALLY hard time making connections with people and keeping those connections. In real life I am kind of quiet. It isn't that I am shy...I am just not one to talk unless I have something to say. I can't stand small talk and find it impossible to do it. I tend to come off as rude, shy, or just totally awkward. I am not usually one's first choice to hang out with. I am in a few moms groups but I pretty much quit them all because I just have nothing in common with these people and I can just tell they think I am awkward.

It doesn't help that I am not really a "woman" in the social aspect of the word. I don't enjoy long shopping trips...I don't want to trash talk my husband...as much as i love them, I don't want to talk about my kids 24/7...I prefer to play video games in my free time rather than hang out late at night...I am huge into weight lifting and nutrition...I am not crazy about hair styles, makeup, ect...I enjoy getting dirty and playing sports. Ect ect. Seems most women I come across are not like that.

I've always been an outcast though. My best friends in high school were gay guys and I never really got along with other girls. Whenever I went out somewhere it was with my equally awkward gay best friend.

Ahhh well. It doesn't bother me anymore. I've accepted that I am who I am. If people don't like me, screw it. :-)
blackbetty
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper

Unread post by blackbetty »

Not well. I hate almost everyone LOL. I just find people annoying. I'm a major hermit. I'm not a girly girl at all and I have nothing in common with anyone. I've met most of my friends through the web and met in real life cause we live in the same city. It's hard for me to meet anyone with common interest because I'm a single mom of 2 and I work 3rd shift so I don't have a lot of free time. Which is FINE because going out in public makes me hate everyone more.
#FreeBen
subject99
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper

Kayliecoburn wrote:I personally have a REALLY hard time making connections with people and keeping those connections. In real life I am kind of quiet. It isn't that I am shy...I am just not one to talk unless I have something to say. I can't stand small talk and find it impossible to do it. I tend to come off as rude, shy, or just totally awkward. I am not usually one's first choice to hang out with. I am in a few moms groups but I pretty much quit them all because I just have nothing in common with these people and I can just tell they think I am awkward.

It doesn't help that I am not really a "woman" in the social aspect of the word. I don't enjoy long shopping trips...I don't want to trash talk my husband...as much as i love them, I don't want to talk about my kids 24/7...I prefer to play video games in my free time rather than hang out late at night...I am huge into weight lifting and nutrition...I am not crazy about hair styles, makeup, ect...I enjoy getting dirty and playing sports. Ect ect. Seems most women I come across are not like that.

I've always been an outcast though. My best friends in high school were gay guys and I never really got along with other girls. Whenever I went out somewhere it was with my equally awkward gay best friend.

Ahhh well. It doesn't bother me anymore. I've accepted that I am who I am. If people don't like me, screw it. :-)
Your my kind of gal! Let's be besties!! I love weight lifting. And I hate make up and I can't do hair for shut and I could care less. I hate shopping and I don't do it and unless I have to like grocery shopping. I prefer video games but haven't played any since my kids were born. I clearly love sports. Hahaha we'd get along great in person. Where have you been all my life?
subject99
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper

blackbettybamf wrote:Not well. I hate almost everyone LOL. I just find people annoying. I'm a major hermit. I'm not a girly girl at all and I have nothing in common with anyone. I've met most of my friends through the web and met in real life cause we live in the same city. It's hard for me to meet anyone with common interest because I'm a single mom of 2 and I work 3rd shift so I don't have a lot of free time. Which is FINE because going out in public makes me hate everyone more.
Don't worry. We have a saying in my family. "We hate everyone equally". I hate people too. Especially stupid people.
thegooseiscooked

Unread post by thegooseiscooked »

Um....you have a LOT of hobbies including very physical activities which require stamina, core muscle strength and play video and computer games ........yet are unable to work and are currently on sick leave. Whilst having the time of your life.

I could tell you right now what my issue with you would be.

But I'll bite my tongue.
FLOSSY77

Unread post by FLOSSY77 »

#dead :D
thegooseiscooked

Well...yeah...I'm not too bothered Flossy. I'm all the way out here in Australia. What's she gonna do? She'd be refused entry on medical grounds.
thegooseiscooked

#bordercontrol
FLOSSY77

Unread post by FLOSSY77 »

No video gaming in the clubhouse? Sad stuff.
thegooseiscooked

Seems she felt a bit left out in Clubhouse too. It is sad.
subject99
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper

thegooseiscooked wrote:Um....you have a LOT of hobbies including very physical activities which require stamina, core muscle strength and play video and computer games ........yet are unable to work and are currently on sick leave. Whilst having the time of your life.

I could tell you right now what my issue with you would be.

But I'll bite my tongue.
You are talking about moi? If so do enlightens me goose. Open them lips of yours. You never seem to bite your tongue for anyone else why stop on my account.
thegooseiscooked

Um... I wasn't talking about you at all. I've never had an issue with you that I'm aware of. I was talking about the original poster.
subject99
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper

thegooseiscooked wrote:Um... I wasn't talking about you at all. I've never had an issue with you that I'm aware of. I was talking about the original poster.
Seems like you were talking about me. It was right after one of my post. That's why I was shocked. I know we have no issue between us. If we did I know you'd tell me straight up. I like you a lot. That's why if we did I hope you'd call me out right away. Just wanted to make sure if you were talking to me I wanted to me sure and have you enlighten me. And don't bite your tongue now. Why stop just go for it. You never stopped before.
thegooseiscooked

I genuinely have no issue with you. I just posted this as soon as I became aware of the thread. Not intentional in any way. In fact, I didn't even read any of the responses.

I do have an issue with littlewaltz's version of events. But as I said, I'll bite my tongue on that one.

God, it was just meant to be a flip remark. Peace out everyone.
subject99
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper

I know you don't. I don't have one with you either. Sorry for the misunderstanding. My apologies, guess I over reacted. Just the way it was in order of responses. I still love goose :). No heart feelings goose.

Return to “Locked/Inactive Discussions”