Julie Deru: Part One

YTIG60
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper
Has thanked: 0

Re: Julie Deru: Part One

Unread post by YTIG60 »

ICantEven wrote: Tue Apr 07, 2020 6:47 am Julie doesn't necessarily have to be lying about enjoying nursing, but I don't think she ever saw it as a career or calling. Being from the Griffiths family, I'm sure she has always planned to have more kids than she can afford and be a stay at home mom. Knowing what we know about the family, it's surprising that she actually continued working nights after having kids, and I'm sure that was only because Landon was in med school with zero income. Now that she can bring in a decent income from YT and IG while staying home with the kids, it doesn't surprise me at all that she wouldn't return to nursing. Even if she sincerely did "love" it in the past.
I find it difficult to believe you can support a family of six on a YouTube job that uploads two times a week (14,000 views on a vlog) and brand deals...both of them are seeing decreasing pay. But perhaps I'm wrong.
You are seeing colleges brace for lower enrollment with the uncertainty of the fall and the pandemic. I question if Landon is concerned they may see cuts in the PhD program he was just accepted in?
ICantEven
Gossiper
Gossiper
Been thanked: 0

Unread post by ICantEven »

YTIG60 wrote: Tue Apr 07, 2020 8:48 am
ICantEven wrote: Tue Apr 07, 2020 6:47 am Julie doesn't necessarily have to be lying about enjoying nursing, but I don't think she ever saw it as a career or calling. Being from the Griffiths family, I'm sure she has always planned to have more kids than she can afford and be a stay at home mom. Knowing what we know about the family, it's surprising that she actually continued working nights after having kids, and I'm sure that was only because Landon was in med school with zero income. Now that she can bring in a decent income from YT and IG while staying home with the kids, it doesn't surprise me at all that she wouldn't return to nursing. Even if she sincerely did "love" it in the past.
I find it difficult to believe you can support a family of six on a YouTube job that uploads two times a week (14,000 views on a vlog) and brand deals...both of them are seeing decreasing pay. But perhaps I'm wrong.
You are seeing colleges brace for lower enrollment with the uncertainty of the fall and the pandemic. I question if Landon is concerned they may see cuts in the PhD program he was just accepted in?
Yeah I've always questioned that too. It seems impossible that they could get by. But watching Cullen and Katie lately, I'm starting to think social media has a lot more earning potential than I realized. C&K have been paying themselves 100k/year, and until they started their debt content, they were getting around 10k views on videos. They do have 500k subscribers, so I'm sure that helps attract sponsorships. But engagement is really low. They said they had 28k of income for last December, which is probably their highest month of income, but it's shocking to me that they could get that many brand deals given the amount and quality of content they produce.

IG sponsorships seem to make a quite a bit of money too, and that's where Julie seems to focus. Katie has about 240k followers and Julie has 120k.

So given similar YT views, even if Julie makes half of what Cullen and Katie make, that's 50k. Landon makes 20 or 30k, so a total of 70-80k is tight but not impossible in Utah I guess?

It must be so stressful for them not knowing what might happen with Landon's PhD program this fall.
YTIG60
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper

Unread post by YTIG60 »

ICantEven wrote: Tue Apr 07, 2020 9:21 am Yeah I've always questioned that too. It seems impossible that they could get by. But watching Cullen and Katie lately, I'm starting to think social media has a lot more earning potential than I realized. C&K have been paying themselves 100k/year, and until they started their debt content, they were getting around 10k views on videos. They do have 500k subscribers, so I'm sure that helps attract sponsorships. But engagement is really low.
It must be so stressful for them not knowing what might happen with Landon's PhD program this fall.
I watched some of CK debt vlogs. They talk about being so far into debt, I'm not sure what they've said is true with income etc. Otherwise, someone would get a job, cut expenses. I did hear Katie doesn't have student loan debt thanks to Katie's parents.
I think Julie lives a frugal life and I don't believe she's always happy with their situation. They don't seem stressed about Landon's future, but to me they live in a bubble even before the pandemic.
moville
Amateur
Amateur

Unread post by moville »

natalka81 wrote:Landon is revoltingly arrogant. I get a very bad vibe from him.
When he denied her to use the car and forced her to take a train to meet friends I just about lost it. What an a$$hole!

Sent fra min SM-G960F via Tapatalk

rdt1004
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper

Unread post by rdt1004 »

I appreciate the effort of trying to get the kids out of the house and get some exercise while social distancing, but those cave tunnels are so dangerous. A couple years ago a man got stuck in one for hours and died while emergency responders were trying to free him because he’d been stuck upside down for too long. Stories of people getting stuck just scare the heck out of me, I definitely wouldn’t go into those tunnels when emergency responders are so busy with the current pandemic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
rdt1004
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper

Unread post by rdt1004 »

Also wtf, Landon buys a milkshake for himself, but makes all 4 kids share one ice cream cone. If you can’t afford to buy everyone their own ice cream or you don’t want them to have ice cream, maybe refrain from buying a milkshake for yourself also

YTIG60
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper

Unread post by YTIG60 »

Landon buying one ice cream cone for four kids....why??? Then buys a milkshake type drink that are a lot more money. Why not buy small ice cream cones for everyone that probably the same price. Symbolically, I think Landon shows how he puts himself first providing for his family.
I'm not use to watching parents put their needs above their children. The range with their family and extended family shown in videos: being a student in your thirties with four children, moms who complain, lazy husbands at home, parent vacation during pandemics or a simply gesture showing his kids sharing one ice cream cone while mom noticed it and did nothing.
It is scary watching a child doing a flip headfirst into a waterhole...
natalka81
Extreme Gossiper
Extreme Gossiper

Unread post by natalka81 »

moville wrote: Mon Apr 13, 2020 4:51 am
natalka81 wrote:Landon is revoltingly arrogant. I get a very bad vibe from him.
When he denied her to use the car and forced her to take a train to meet friends I just about lost it. What an a$$hole!

Sent fra min SM-G960F via Tapatalk
When was that? Awful!
Happy+Charlie
Gossiper
Gossiper

Unread post by Happy+Charlie »

Maybe I'm just a little too cautious, but why do these nit wits allow their children to go first into tunnels, not knowing what they may come upon? Could there be snakes or something else bats, coyote, etc. (not from that area, so I don't know what kind of wildlife they could encounter), but geez, it's great to explore and allow your kids to be so adventurous, and have a no fear attitude, but they never seem cautious of anything with their kids.

Yeah, Julie, you're right, aside from displaying pure selfishness, its pretty gross having your kids lick off the same cone. Could have at least gotten a bowl, then they could have taken it from a spoon. Have your children teach their dad about putting others first, he sorely needs to learn.
YTIG60
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper

Unread post by YTIG60 »

Happy+Charlie wrote: Mon Apr 13, 2020 8:36 am Yeah, Julie, you're right, aside from displaying pure selfishness, its pretty gross having your kids lick off the same cone. Could have at least gotten a bowl, then they could have taken it from a spoon. Have your children teach their dad about putting others first, he sorely needs to learn.
So did Landon and Julie learn this parenting behavior from their parents. It seems Landon's parents have been generous by taking them on trips, out for dinners and plays, watched their children etc. I keep thinking if I was the parent of these YouTuber-adults, I would be so disappointed in their behavior, especially towards their children.
gopedjane
Extreme Gossiper
Extreme Gossiper

Unread post by gopedjane »

Happy+Charlie wrote: Mon Apr 13, 2020 8:36 am Maybe I'm just a little too cautious, but why do these nit wits allow their children to go first into tunnels, not knowing what they may come upon? Could there be snakes or something else bats, coyote, etc. (not from that area, so I don't know what kind of wildlife they could encounter), but geez, it's great to explore and allow your kids to be so adventurous, and have a no fear attitude, but they never seem cautious of anything with their kids.

Yeah, Julie, you're right, aside from displaying pure selfishness, its pretty gross having your kids lick off the same cone. Could have at least gotten a bowl, then they could have taken it from a spoon. Have your children teach their dad about putting others first, he sorely needs to learn.
So I'm not overly cautious how my kid plays. I try to teach him how to be safe but that was just down right unsafe and completely ridiculous. How is that even allowed and not against the law? The icecream? Julie should have gone and bought more. What a complete dickhead.
natalka81
Extreme Gossiper
Extreme Gossiper

Unread post by natalka81 »

I was also kind of turned off by Julie's very chipper "It was a super fun day and I hope you guys are enjoying your quarantine and we'll see you in the next video!" Zero sense of the huge challenges people might be going through in "their quarantine".
HelloSweetie
Super Moddie
Super Moddie

Unread post by HelloSweetie »

YTIG60 wrote:
ICantEven wrote: Tue Apr 07, 2020 9:21 am Yeah I've always questioned that too. It seems impossible that they could get by. But watching Cullen and Katie lately, I'm starting to think social media has a lot more earning potential than I realized. C&K have been paying themselves 100k/year, and until they started their debt content, they were getting around 10k views on videos. They do have 500k subscribers, so I'm sure that helps attract sponsorships. But engagement is really low.
I watched some of CK debt vlogs. They talk about being so far into debt, I'm not sure what they've said is true with income etc. Otherwise, someone would get a job, cut expenses. I did hear Katie doesn't have student loan debt thanks to Katie's parents.
I think Julie lives a frugal life and I don't believe she's always happy with their situation. They don't seem stressed about Landon's future, but to me they live in a bubble even before the pandemic.
You’re right. C&K we’re paying themselves more than they could afford. They were overestimating how much they would make (instead of living on what they did make). They also didn’t pay taxes.

Happy+Charlie
Gossiper
Gossiper

In today's vlog, "Change of Plans," boy, it would be nice if Landon could take care of his youngest for Julie, allowing her to focus on the older children with school. There's no excuse for Julie to have to struggle with entertaining Lucy while teaching when he is home too. He must not owe Julie an favors at the moment, cause that's what he sees taking care of his own children as, doing a favor, not what is expected of a dad. Now, I realize, this could have all been for the vlog, but he does seem to get away with no carrying his load as far as kids are concerned.
lmmomSD
Super Moddie
Super Moddie

Unread post by lmmomSD »

Happy+Charlie wrote:In today's vlog, "Change of Plans," boy, it would be nice if Landon could take care of his youngest for Julie, allowing her to focus on the older children with school. There's no excuse for Julie to have to struggle with entertaining Lucy while teaching when he is home too. He must not owe Julie an favors at the moment, cause that's what he sees taking care of his own children as, doing a favor, not what is expected of a dad. Now, I realize, this could have all been for the vlog, but he does seem to get away with no carrying his load as far as kids are concerned.
Like a dad referring to taking care of the kids while the mom is out as "babysitting". No, they're your kids too. Taking care of them is part of the job description of "dad".

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

YTIG60
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper

Unread post by YTIG60 »

An article about BYU receiving government (COVID related) funding and how they receive more with students being married and on pell grants.

So why is BYU, a private, religious college, raking in so much? The reason is kind of funny but also very “Utah.” It has to do with young people getting married. https://www.sltrib.com/news/education/2 ... hy-byu-is/
The federal aid for colleges during the virus is based on a complex formula. But put simply, it grants funds based on the percentage of how many students at an institution qualify for Pell grants. Those grants are calculated by need and awarded to students each year in low-income households who need help paying for school.
Utah institutions get millions from government as some universities decline money https://kutv.com/news/coronavirus/utah- ... line-money
Privately owned BYU was given the most money in the state by a wide margin while state school University of Utah, with roughly the same enrollment, was given more than $18.7 million, slightly more than BYU-Idaho's $18.1 million. Publicly owned Utah Valley University has the second highest monetary award in the state with $22 million, according to a government listing of the thousands of institutions nationally.
Happy+Charlie
Gossiper
Gossiper

YTIG60 wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 4:18 pm An article about BYU receiving government (COVID related) funding and how they receive more with students being married and on pell grants.

So why is BYU, a private, religious college, raking in so much? The reason is kind of funny but also very “Utah.” It has to do with young people getting married. https://www.sltrib.com/news/education/2 ... hy-byu-is/
The federal aid for colleges during the virus is based on a complex formula. But put simply, it grants funds based on the percentage of how many students at an institution qualify for Pell grants. Those grants are calculated by need and awarded to students each year in low-income households who need help paying for school.
Utah institutions get millions from government as some universities decline money https://kutv.com/news/coronavirus/utah- ... line-money
Privately owned BYU was given the most money in the state by a wide margin while state school University of Utah, with roughly the same enrollment, was given more than $18.7 million, slightly more than BYU-Idaho's $18.1 million. Publicly owned Utah Valley University has the second highest monetary award in the state with $22 million, according to a government listing of the thousands of institutions nationally.
Maybe they'll be called to give it back. Institutions that have endowments and other funding to fall back on are not supposed to get the gov payout. This school is probably raking in the donations yearly, and giving it all to the church, no doubt.
YTIG60
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper

Unread post by YTIG60 »

Happy+Charlie wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 4:26 pm Maybe they'll be called to give it back. Institutions that have endowments and other funding to fall back on are not supposed to get the gov payout. This school is probably raking in the donations yearly, and giving it all to the church, no doubt.
Some institutions have (Harvard endowment 40 billion) since they have billions in endowment. (BYU endowment 1.72 billion USD 2017) I'm unfamiliar how this government aid process worked and higher educational institutions endowments are utilized.
YTIG60
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper

Unread post by YTIG60 »

I thought the Fairy Gardens was a great idea for kids. I will give Julie credit making the most of a small rental, but I think it will be a long time before she'll have her own home.
You would think her view numbers would be better during the pandemic, but vlogging just a couple days a week might have something to do with it.
Happy+Charlie
Gossiper
Gossiper

Julie, whether you are Type 1 or Type 2 diabetic, you are supposed to check your sugar regularly. Not sure why you think only Type 1 requires daily blood checks.

Return to “Other Griffiths/Mechams”