First time waitress, any tips?

MichaelScarn
Informer
Informer
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

First time waitress, any tips?

Unread post by MichaelScarn »

This is very random but I figure maybe some of y'all could help!
Wednesday I start as a waitress for the first time ever. Saving up for IVF actually, used to be a housewife. I'm really nervous for some reason. Nervous I'll mess things up, that I'll get really behind, about rude customers because I'm a delicate little being (although pretty sure I'll get over it). Do y'all have any tips? Little words of wisdom or things you wish you had known? Does it get easier after the initial beginning and overwhelmed feeling?
Also shoes, what kind of shoes did y'all wear waitressing that were the best comfort wise and look wise?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mazement
Talker
Talker

Re: First time waitress, any tips?

Unread post by Mazement »

I'm not sure if waitressing is a different experience in other countries but I waitressed a lot in the UK. Some little tips that come to mind...
- Don't ever complain about a customer or a table unless you're completely sure that a) they can't hear you and b) they're not related to a colleague
- Don't get downhearted if, after a week or six, there are still loads of things you don't know, but try not to forget things (you never know when you might need that spatula that you've just seen the chef put in the cupboard)
- where possible (and if permitted) put they tray of drinks/food ON the table before unloading. It's not as easy as it looks to keep it balanced on your hand!
- take a pen and guard it with your life. If you think you're the sort of person that will use a pen and forget to put it back in your apron, take two.
- be careful when carrying liquids (soup/coffee/anything with gravy). it may sound obvious but it's easy to forget your left hand whilst your right hand is busy putting down a plate of food...gravy down the customer's back isn't pleasant!
- Speak up in the kitchen. Make sure they've heard you.
- I would suggest jotting down the time when you take an order...there's no greater pleasure than telling a customer who's complaining that they've been waiting for an hour that they have, in fact, only been waiting for 15minutes.
- remember that for every seriously insufferable table/customer there're 10 that are pleasant and polite...even if it doesn't feel like it. Also, I guess this goes without saying, but always stay polite no matter how infuriated you are.
- don't feel pressured to carry more than you're capable of. Returning to the table three times isn't as bad as dropping 10 plates on the floor in the middle of everyone! But still do try and improve (returning to the table once and not dropping anything is even better!)

Wow, that got a bit long, sorry, I hope it helped a bit! What sort of place are you waitressing in, if I may ask?

On the shoes front, everyone I ever worked with wore black dolly shoes, including myself, but you'll want to cut off your feet after two hours, I promise. I eventually got some black sketchers that didn't look like trainers and you couldn't see the brand name.Best purchase ever, they were a thousand times more comfortable and everyone got jealous!!
Mazement
Talker
Talker

Unread post by Mazement »

Ps, like anything, it'll get easier and easier. You'll do great, I'm sure!
MichaelScarn
Informer
Informer

Thank you very much! I really appreciate it!
It's a chain of breakfast places called Denny's. So it's not a fancy place. Hmm I'm not sure if there are Denny's in the UK, but if they have IHOP there it's a lot like that!

mocalyn
Informer
Informer

Unread post by mocalyn »

I worked in a similar place and it was my favorite job.
Generally if you smile and keep the coffees full and hot people will be happy.
Dont be afraid to let the customer know your new/still learning. Most people will be kind and encouraging!
Do your best to get along with the other servers! When its busy having a "team" rather than competitors is a life saver. You never know when you might need someone to run a refill for you :)

Good luck!

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk
MichaelScarn
Informer
Informer

Thank you very much!!!

LaurenXo
Gossiper
Gossiper

Unread post by LaurenXo »

-look up the menu now, and begin to learn the different side dish options, types of eggs, etc

-if you can't wear running shoes or tennis shoes, buy insoles at the drug store

- be quick but not so quick that your making tons of mistakes

I'm sure I'll think of more but there's some started
Daydreamer 7
Amateur
Amateur

Unread post by Daydreamer 7 »

Other tips I can give you as a former waitress and floor manager:

- Checkbacks! Keep a eye on your tables, and whenever possible remain visible on the floor to them. After you drop off the food ask if there's anything else you get them then retreat for about 2-3 minutes and come back to make sure they are happy with the food. This is important because the quicker you can resolve issues (cold food, wrong ingredients, etc) the happier your customers will be. Keep checking back at longer intervals until the meal is finished (halfway, 3/4's through their plate.) You never know what could come up in between!

- When you're starting out, keep a little notepad with you to write down tips from your co-workers, questions you may have for your boss and even things like when you dropped the check at a table. Try not to forget about a table even though you printed the check and they've finished eating. If they don't self pay, they're relying on YOU to collect the credit card/cash and bring change before they can leave the table. It's important to check on them either way because they could have a dispute with the bill too.

-Try and remember the little things before they even ask; extra napkins, straws, refill those drinks (or ask if they'd like another) BEFORE the glass is empty. I tried to never let my customer's drinks get below the halfway mark.

- Depending on the type of place you work at, Pre-bus those tables yourself. Meaning, clear away appetizer plates & empty glasses asap. This is also a great time to check in again and ask how their meal is going so far. You never know, they may want to add something to their order or just have a question for you at any time.

- Non-slip shoes are the best. You can look them up and buy online. In a pinch, I've found them at Wal-Mart before.

-Smile! Relax and breathe! There will always be an unhappy customer no matter where you work. Just get the manager or head waitstaff to assist when problems arise. Don't worry, it's our job to handle those situations your boss should know and expect this.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
Daydreamer 7
Amateur
Amateur

Unread post by Daydreamer 7 »

Ugh sorry there's a few typos and missing words above! I tend to rush when I use my phone. My apologies!

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
MichaelScarn
Informer
Informer

Thank y'all all! Very helpful!

zipadeedodah
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper

Unread post by zipadeedodah »

I've never been a waitress, but I recommend slip-resistant shoes for when, or if, you're in the kitchen. Trust me when I say it is not fun slipping around all day lol. Shoes for Crews makes extremely comfortable shoes. They are on the pricey side, but they will last you a very long time.

I've had my pair for 10 years and they're still in good condition. I no longer work in the food industry, but the shoes still come in handy if I need to wear them doing stuff around the house or whatever.
MichaelScarn
Informer
Informer

Thank you! I'll look at those!

nobettsaboutit
Informer
Informer

Unread post by nobettsaboutit »

I was a waitress at IHOP and it wasn't a good fit for me. I was young and didn't really have a backbone. I just recently quit a job at Buffalo Wild Wings, not as a server, but having server friends and seeing the things they do:

- if another coworker gets upset with you or yells at you about something, just let it go and don't stress about it. It's not worth your time getting upset over something that is probably very small.

- make sure you speak up if you have an issue (food, other servers, management, etc) don't let yourself get walked over by being too nice lol

- like someone else said, work as a team. It's corny but "teamwork makes the dream work" was our slogan at work. So many girls would go at it with each other over little things that as a team we could have handled a lot better.

- if you don't get good tips and you're doing everything the way you should be, don't let it stress you out too much. There's always another table and another chance to make a great tip!

And the biggest one:
Make sure you're happy with your job. Like I said, I just quit BWW and it was because I was unhappy. I was barely making money (I made $10/hr and my checks were barely $200) and I wasn't getting any hours. I was one of the best in my position but management screwed me over and I got tired of it.

Good luck and let us know how it goes!!

MichaelScarn
Informer
Informer

Thank you!! I appreciate it!

MichaelScarn
Informer
Informer

Thank you, Kryptonite!!!

lmmomSD
Super Moddie
Super Moddie

Unread post by lmmomSD »

I sent you a PM. Hope it got through!

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk
lmmomSD
Super Moddie
Super Moddie

Unread post by lmmomSD »

And slip resistant shoes are life savers. They're ugly, but some places won't let you start your shift without them. And they make a HUGE difference.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk
MichaelScarn
Informer
Informer

Thank y'all all very much for the tips! First day went great if you ask me! My feet hurt a lot more than usual but my co worker was telling me about some type of compression socks I can get that'll help with that :) wasn't near as scary as I expected. Really appreciate all the help!
And LmmomSD my pms are running slow so when they're back to working fine I'll reply! Thank you!

MichaelScarn
Informer
Informer

Thank y'all all very much for the tips! First day went great if you ask me! My feet hurt a lot more than usual but my co worker was telling me about some type of compression socks I can get that'll help with that :) wasn't near as scary as I expected. Really appreciate all the help!
And LmmomSD my pms are running slow so when they're back to working fine I'll reply! Thank you!

lmmomSD
Super Moddie
Super Moddie

Unread post by lmmomSD »

Hurray! Glad it went well! And take your time-- no worries about getting back to me.
The last place I worked was the best because everyone really put their money where their mouths were when it came to teamwork. I've worked lots of places where they _talked_ about teamwork, but at this place everyone really acted on it. We cleared each other's tables, ran food,and never fought over who had more tables. I hope this place is like that for you.

Return to “Offtopic Miscellaneous”