rosie_dalia
Gossiper
Gossiper
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Cullen and Katie: Losing the house, no jobs for either spouse | Part #27

Unread post by rosie_dalia »

YTIG60 wrote: Wed Aug 12, 2020 7:13 pm
HashtagBlessed wrote: Wed Aug 12, 2020 7:01 am They need to dramatically increase their income and live on substantially less than they bring in.

The total debt number they shared was $100,045. I'm not sure if that includes the car? I know it doesn't include the house.

Katie doesn't seem to understand that they owe more on their house than it's currently worth, and that's going to be super expensive to get out of. So no, you probably shouldn't be splurging on dinners out.
There biggest problem is the house that may sell less than the debt or mortgage they owe.
They talked in detail about what is included in the 100K ALL DEBT Individually Listed + Our GAME PLAN - Our Debt Disaster

I believe they are saying the100K debt includes credit card, business debt (39K) and 30K for the car. They were going to make payments on tax debt that Dave Ramsey didn't recommend. :? They pay 929.00 a month for the car.
During this vlog Katie said her parents were not involved with their finances, but friends (who?) and family offered to help...they didn't accept it.

Katie: I'm never gonna buy clothes which actually we have a ton of hand-me-downs for my sister's kids and ever since I realized what a problem I have with buying stuff I have stopped buying clothes for my kids unless they obviously like need them I'm not gonna like let them not wear clothes but we had a hand-me-down...
I'm starting to wonder if they are spending this much even now because they know they will have to file for bankruptcy. I think they can file for personal bankruptcy, but their "business" (LLC) might still look debt free or current. BUT, I'm not sure about that. They really haven't been honest about how they use personal/business accounts. I've never had that much debt, so I'm not sure how bankruptcy works.
HelloSweetie
Super Moddie
Super Moddie

Unread post by HelloSweetie »

rosie_dalia wrote:
I'm starting to wonder if they are spending this much even now because they know they will have to file for bankruptcy. I think they can file for personal bankruptcy, but their "business" (LLC) might still look debt free or current. BUT, I'm not sure about that. They really haven't been honest about how they use personal/business accounts. I've never had that much debt, so I'm not sure how bankruptcy works.
I had the same thought. If Katie feels they are going to just declare bankruptcy anyway, then I could see her “stocking up” on things and continuing to spend for as long as she can, while she can.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Haulnarse
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper

Unread post by Haulnarse »

HelloSweetie wrote:
rosie_dalia wrote:
I had the same thought. If Katie feels they are going to just declare bankruptcy anyway, then I could see her “stocking up” on things and continuing to spend for as long as she can, while she can.

This was ages ago but: Cos lets face it, who spends $500-1000 on one grocery trip (and goes every week or more to the store) and only buy crap. She had an excuse for every single item in her car boot. She was hiding the total from him.

She has a major spending problem, hes not that blind surely??
rosie_dalia
Gossiper
Gossiper

Haulnarse wrote: Wed Aug 12, 2020 9:11 pm
HelloSweetie wrote:
rosie_dalia wrote:

This was ages ago but: Cos lets face it, who spends $500-1000 on one grocery trip (and goes every week or more to the store) and only buy crap. She had an excuse for every single item in her car boot. She was hiding the total from him.

She has a major spending problem, hes not that blind surely??
I'm starting to also wonder if they are intoxicated or taking prescription drugs and just oblivious to life all day and night. Didn't they once say they both took Ritalin or Adderall?? Both are highly addictive ADHD meds and might lead to "intoxication"—especially with alcohol consumption.

I thought Cullen was drunk in all three beach videos. I'm not sure he knows what sober means. They seem to party like college students and aren't they almost 40?
wishes
Gossiper
Gossiper

Unread post by wishes »

lmmomSD wrote: Wed Aug 12, 2020 10:53 am I remember a Washington Post article about the area my family is from in Northern Virginia (Loudoun County). It's beautiful and commuter close to DC. Anyway, it was talking about all these families upside-down on their mortgages for "6,000 SF starter homes". What the HELL does a family with 2 kids need with 6000SF? And as a "starter home"? We built what was basically my dream home in Washington state (sadly sold in the divorce) and it wasn't even 2300SF, but it was NICE.
I don't understand why people think they need so much space. I would rather have a yard than have a huge house built up to the edges of the lot!

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
Hey, I’m in NoVa and in Loudoun (one of the top 10 most expensive counties to live in in US)! But yes, I agree about the 6k SF starter home. I’ve always wondered what these people do around here to have McMansions. It reminds me of that meme making fun of house hunters with a teachers and janitor salary but their budget is 2mil. Just replace teacher and janitor with YouTubers C+K. :lol:

Personal but we’re looking to buy our forever home this Spring (hopefully when the rates are still amazing as they are now) for no more than 3500 SF with a big yard. But that’s because we actually are doing DR methods and also helps my husband just got a new job doubling his salary so it’s easier for us to pay off debt now and start saving for a down payment. Where as C+K just expect things to be handed to them. Smh.
Catch a falling star and put in your pocket
☆彡
lmmomSD
Super Moddie
Super Moddie

Unread post by lmmomSD »

wishes wrote:
lmmomSD wrote: Wed Aug 12, 2020 10:53 am I remember a Washington Post article about the area my family is from in Northern Virginia (Loudoun County). It's beautiful and commuter close to DC. Anyway, it was talking about all these families upside-down on their mortgages for "6,000 SF starter homes". What the HELL does a family with 2 kids need with 6000SF? And as a "starter home"? We built what was basically my dream home in Washington state (sadly sold in the divorce) and it wasn't even 2300SF, but it was NICE.
I don't understand why people think they need so much space. I would rather have a yard than have a huge house built up to the edges of the lot!

Hey, I’m in NoVa and in Loudoun (one of the top 10 most expensive counties to live in in US)! But yes, I agree about the 6k SF starter home. I’ve always wondered what these people do around here to have McMansions. It reminds me of that meme making fun of house hunters with a teachers and janitor salary but their budget is 2mil. Just replace teacher and janitor with YouTubers C+K. Image

Personal but we’re looking to buy our forever home this Spring (hopefully when the rates are still amazing as they are now) for no more than 3500 SF with a big yard. But that’s because we actually are doing DR methods and also helps my husband just got a new job doubling his salary so it’s easier for us to pay off debt now and start saving for a down payment. Where as C+K just expect things to be handed to them. Smh.
Lucky you! That's great. My family owns property in Leesburg and used to live in Waterford before my grandmother passed. Waterford is one of my favorite places in the world.
Back to C&K, I can totally see Katie spending all she can before they declare bankruptcy.

YTIG60
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper

Unread post by YTIG60 »

HelloSweetie wrote: Wed Aug 12, 2020 8:22 pm
rosie_dalia wrote:

It seems odd they are looking at expensive beach property and doing debt vlogs....I'm sure viewers feel the same. I just feel they both are not too smart and I agree these last few vlogs/IGs it looks like they've been drinking especially Cullen. They need a good financial advisor and to actually listen to him or her or they need to listen to their accountant. I've seen family in bad financial situations where a professional told them to do something to improve their financial outlook and they'll do the opposite.

People can be just plain dumb, entitled or don't acknowledge their in trouble honestly or ignore the entire situation. I think Cullen and Katie are all of the above based off their justifying spending and with what they show in vlogs. I don't think they will declare bankruptcy since Katie does recognize her parents would not be too happy with this choice. However, I see a short sale with their present home.
Boymomma123
True Gossiper
True Gossiper

Unread post by Boymomma123 »

They both just seem so impulsive and they never seem to think things through.

They are just on a high right now because they are on vacation and think of they live near the beach they will be happy all of the time. I hate to break it them but even people who live near the beach have responsibilities and stress from everyday life.

Cullen is super impulsive and has never really found his groove with yt like so many other have. He seems to jump on trends that others have started. They did the debt content for a while then that became too much work and they stopped. Now they want to be the family that lives by the beach.

I don't care for the Labrant family but I have to admit they found their niche and have flourished. C&K could have been more successful with yt and social media if they had any shred of discipline. They throw up a random video every two weeks of them rambling like two drunk teenagers. Most family vloggers are super problematic but they know how to put on a good show to get views.

Katie could have easily jumped on the mom life /lifestyle/cleaning video train lots of yt moms do. They are just lazy entitled assholes who do the bare minimum.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Ducklings4
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper

Unread post by Ducklings4 »

Boymomma123 wrote:They both just seem so impulsive and they never seem to think things through.

They are just on a high right now because they are on vacation and think of they live near the beach they will be happy all of the time. I hate to break it them but even people who live near the beach have responsibilities and stress from everyday life.

Cullen is super impulsive and has never really found his groove with yt like so many other have. He seems to jump on trends that others have started. They did the debt content for a while then that became too much work and they stopped. Now they want to be the family that lives by the beach.

I don't care for the Labrant family but I have to admit they found their niche and have flourished. C&K could have been more successful with yt and social media if they had any shred of discipline. They throw up a random video every two weeks of them rambling like two drunk teenagers. Most family vloggers are super problematic but they know how to put on a good show to get views.

Katie could have easily jumped on the mom life /lifestyle/cleaning video train lots of yt moms do. They are just lazy entitled assholes who do the bare minimum.

Her mom life would include sending her kids to daycare, having a cleaning person come to their house, and an editor for their vlog.
HashtagBlessed
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper

Unread post by HashtagBlessed »

Boymomma123 wrote: Wed Aug 12, 2020 1:18 pm I agree hashtag blessed, her parents were able to set them up for success and did so through good budgeting and financial planning themselves.

C&K are idiots and just squandered all they were handed in life. I do think her parents made her life a little too easy and they would have learned more from working hard for some of those things early on.

Honestly I think the majority of their money issues go back to Katie's self esteem problems. She constantly buys things to make it seem like they are well off. All of those super expensive monogrammed outfits for the kids they wore once were to show status. She still doesn't even take responsibility for the things she did to cause their debt. She literally blames her parents and sister for "making her feel like she has to live a certain way". When really she just can't afford that lifestyle so now she has to blame someone else.

If she was married to someone life her dad making 6 figures she would have no problem filling the kids closets with all that monogrammed nonsense and paying for expensive day care so she could shop all day. If you took tomorrow for them she would stay in that house and go right back to spending. She wants her sisters life for sure.

I think it's telling that Katie and Cullen were "on their own" financially speaking for a few brief years before everything came crushing down on them. Katie graduated with her PhD at the end of 2012. By spring of 2017, they were buying the mansion on the golf course that they couldn't afford with sketchy financing. That's less than 5 years that they went from under her parents wing to making some seriously stupid and self-destructive financial decisions. Fast forward two more years to summer of 2019, and they've maxed out their credit cards and were scrounging for loose change to put gas in the $900 car. Katie loves to make it sound like they were so responsible up until they purchased the mansion, but when you look at the timeline, they really weren't left to their own devices for very long before everything went south.

They could have been comfortable even with the decrease in YouTube profitability if they had stayed in the home her parents helped them purchase. They probably could have paid it off entirely during their peak earning years if they had been smart. They also would have been a lot more comfortable if Katie had stayed in her field, at least part-time. None of this would have kept the YouTube gravy train going, but it would have bought them some time to figure it out. Instead they stuck their heads in the sand, pretending like they were high earners.

Even if the "plan" (read: I don't think these two ever have a real plan) was for Katie to take a few years off to have kids before she used her PhD, wouldn't that be right about now? Gaines is about to be 6, Brooks is 4. I would think this would be about the time that she would be looking to re-enter the workforce anyways. Her refusal to admit that social media is not a long-term career for them is so telling. She's been very insistent that their income is not the issue, it's their spending. They clearly have a spending problem, but they are also in denial about their long-term earning potential.
Todays drama
Gossiper
Gossiper

Unread post by Todays drama »

I think Katie is a drinker and Cullen is still drinking and doing pills or some other drug. I don't believe he followed through with the drugs anonymous program. I think this is the reason they are hanging on to YT as a career and not looking for outside jobs. They would never be able to pass a pre-employment drug tests. Some employers check for alcohol, also. But I agree, they may be gearing up to file bankruptcy so the spending continues. They may end up in the apartment on top of Grand-Dolly & Grand-Doc's garage again. With their credit, they may not be able to get into a decent apartment. They need a severe intervention for the sake of those kids.
HelloSweetie
Super Moddie
Super Moddie

Unread post by HelloSweetie »

We know Cullen drinks a lot because he’s at least admitted it. I think Katie drinks just as much as he does tbh. He admitted she had a problem before too, only she made him take it back. It’s her “dirty little secret.”

lmmomSD
Super Moddie
Super Moddie

Unread post by lmmomSD »

HelloSweetie wrote:We know Cullen drinks a lot because he’s at least admitted it. I think Katie drinks just as much as he does tbh. He admitted she had a problem before too, only she made him take it back. It’s her “dirty little secret.”

And since, they both swear up and down that he "only" had a drug problem, and that it's perfectly fine for him to drink. Katie got super snarky with someone who commented about him drinking when he is supposed to be in recovery. I think she isn't investing in his sobriety because then she would lose her drinking buddy.

Boymomma123
True Gossiper
True Gossiper

Unread post by Boymomma123 »

They definitely both have a drinking problem based on their insisting on budgeting for alcohol despite paying their mortgage. Anyone who doesn't have two pennies to rub together yet demands they have an "alcohol fund" has a problem in my opinion.

I honestly don't understand how they have time to get wasted all the time. Maybe she would be more enthusiastic about raising her kids if she wasn't hung over every morning.

lmmomSD
Super Moddie
Super Moddie

Unread post by lmmomSD »

Right? They're not 22 anymore even if they want to act as though they are. All that booze is hard on your body.
Hope they don't do irreversible damage to their livers, let alone the kids' psyches.

rosie_dalia
Gossiper
Gossiper

Did anyone else almost have a heart attack watching the kids lean over that janky railing to feed the fish/turtle. Gaines could have easily fallen into that gator pond. Cullen just doesn't pay attention, does he!?!?!?

Here's a problem they haven't addressed: the pets. The houses they looked at are certainly in communities with HOAs and rules about pets—even for owners—can be VERY strict. Where I live there is a weight limit of 30 pounds for dogs and two pets MAX! They have four pets and they are even considering a little townhouse??? Maybe that's more in their budget, but they need to do some research. A lot of HOA communities even make potential renters apply/be approved first (and they ask about pets, family members, etc.)...my community does.

Also, Katie (I think) said they could use their mortgage payment money for a rental? WTH? What happens when they have the rental AND have to start paying their current mortgage again? That is the DUMBEST idea EVER.

Then they go to dinner at a seafood place that isn't cheap...I looked up the menu. C&K didn't show what they ordered to eat or drink, but I'm sure the bill was at least $150. I'm sure they didn't show their food/alcohol on purpose because they know it's not in their budget.

Do they not see how many mistakes they are making?? They are using their mortgage money to live a lifestyle they can't afford. If they have the $$$$$ for their mortgage, they should be PAYING THEIR MORTGAGE. They really are morons.

I wonder if her parents know they aren't paying their mortgage??? I think they would have a problem with that. I don't think they would be OK with this "free" month-long vacation knowing C&K aren't paying their bills.
Hereforthemamadrama
Talker
Talker

Unread post by Hereforthemamadrama »

How are these idiots going on a month long vacation and not paying their mortgage are they trying to get foreclosed on. They will never own another home goodluck renting with all those animals
rosie_dalia
Gossiper
Gossiper

Hereforthemamadrama wrote: Thu Aug 13, 2020 5:17 pm How are these idiots going on a month long vacation and not paying their mortgage are they trying to get foreclosed on. They will never own another home goodluck renting with all those animals
Their mortgage company offered them a mortgage forbearance because of the Covid-19 situation, but I think that ends soon. But, unless, they were really, really broke, they should have continued to pay it. Instead, they are taking those funds and spending, spending, spending! How stupid of them!

Edit: I looked up some info. Looks like they could have up to a year without having to make payments...but still a DUMB idea. Also, is their "hardship" due to the pandemic? They are at the freakin' beach for a month. Hard to believe they qualified because of hardship. UGH!

https://www.forbes.com/sites/advisor/20 ... 2c78453481
Aussiegal2017
True Gossiper
True Gossiper

Unread post by Aussiegal2017 »

They are completely delusional, its going to all come crashing down at some point it won't be pretty.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

GigglyMint
Talker
Talker

Unread post by GigglyMint »

rosie_dalia wrote: Thu Aug 13, 2020 5:32 pm
Hereforthemamadrama wrote: Thu Aug 13, 2020 5:17 pm How are these idiots going on a month long vacation and not paying their mortgage are they trying to get foreclosed on. They will never own another home goodluck renting with all those animals
Their mortgage company offered them a mortgage forbearance because of the Covid-19 situation, but I think that ends soon. But, unless, they were really, really broke, they should have continued to pay it. Instead, they are taking those funds and spending, spending, spending! How stupid of them!

Edit: I looked up some info. Looks like they could have up to a year without having to make payments...but still a DUMB idea. Also, is their "hardship" due to the pandemic? They are at the freakin' beach for a month. Hard to believe they qualified because of hardship. UGH!

https://www.forbes.com/sites/advisor/20 ... 2c78453481
Yes it’s due to Covid. Some mortgage companies require you to make up all the payments at once. Hopefully that’s not the case.

And they’re not moving to Florida lol. They just wanted something to film. It’s not serious.

Return to “Cullen and Katie”