Cullen and Katie: Losing the house, no jobs for either spouse | Part #27

HashtagBlessed
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper
Has thanked: 0

Re: Cullen and Katie: Losing the house, no jobs for either spouse | Part #27

Unread post by HashtagBlessed »

Boymomma123 wrote: Sun Nov 15, 2020 9:07 am I don't understand the logic of selling their dining table to just trun around and buy another one?

They act like selling stuff is a second job yet they are just using the money to buy more crap. How is that helping them get out of debt?

They are such a hot mess.

Sent from my SM-N981U using Tapatalk
I couldn't agree more. It really highlights the mindset that got them into so much credit card debt in the first place. I'm guessing at least some of the stuff they sold to justify new furniture purchases was stuff that they originally bought on credit in the first place and are probably still paying interest on. I can't recall what they said they actually sold each piece for, but I can't believe there are people willing to drop serious money for their dated, used furniture.

That was bold of Katie to refer to selling stuff on Facebook as a second job. All of the "get a job" comments clearly hit a nerve, even when their viewers are being polite. It's one of the few suggestions that she directly responds to in videos. So frankly it was odd to me that they misled viewers by referring to it as a second (first?) job in the teaser.

I know Cullen is a mess in his own right, but a previous poster pointed out how much more functional he is than Katie and it's so true! We rarely see him complain about taking care of either child. He cooks edible dinners. He's resourceful enough to figure out how to fix things like the AC, and how to fund their move with Facebook marketplace. He was clearly the one behind their YouTube success. He occasionally talks shop on his podcast and it's clear that he has some understanding of the business side. You can tell that when he puts his mind to something, he's actually pretty good at figuring things out.

Meanwhile, Katie always seems to be justifying why something she spearheaded was poorly planned. The rental situation with the pets. That got awful predatory loan they took. Watching her compulsively clean their washing machine late into the night claiming it was causing runny noses was painful, especially considering she probably just needed an industrial strength descaler, and no, it was not mold. I've never heard her talk about YouTube or being an influencer in a way that sounds halfway intelligent. She's just so scatter brained and lacking in critical thinking. I think she's convinced Cullen that she can't make any money with her degree, but in reality she just couldn't hack it in the real world.
penny17
Talker
Talker

Unread post by penny17 »

I have to say while I agree they probably didn't learn their lesson... their furniture is actually very large and so their dining table they probably sold it because it won't fit maybe... however they will probably buy another expensive dining table.

Im odd one out and I actually hate used stuff. I would rather wait out for a sale and use a coupon or something than to buy used anything. Personal preference... but when you're in the mess they are they really need to prioritize.

You kind of do need a dining table but I dont know as much about these 2 but i dont think Katie really cooks that much? So do they really need a dining table idk. Just my thoughts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ducklings4
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper

Unread post by Ducklings4 »

Like her jewelry, Katie bought big bulky furniture. It would not work in an 1800 square foot home.

HashtagBlessed
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper

Oh for sure, there's no way that furniture was going to fit in a smaller home. But if they were really doing Dave Ramsey, they should have sold that stuff a long time ago and gone without. I know Katie thought that the house showed better with furniture in it,
but I think that was just one of her many epiphanies to explain why the house wasn't selling. Personally, I thought their dated furniture made the home look even more dated and run down. I prefer homes to be completely empty, or professionally staged.
HashtagBlessed
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper

Also, they've had this house on and off the market for over a YEAR at this point. There's no reason they couldn't have been donating and selling all this stuff over the course of the last year. This move should have been a breeze if they had been selling everything that wasn't nailed down. Who takes two weeks to move when your house has been on the market for a year and you're moving into less than 1800 sq ft?
DarthMama
Talker
Talker

Unread post by DarthMama »

HashtagBlessed wrote: Mon Nov 16, 2020 1:34 pm Also, they've had this house on and off the market for over a YEAR at this point. There's no reason they couldn't have been donating and selling all this stuff over the course of the last year. This move should have been a breeze if they had been selling everything that wasn't nailed down. Who takes two weeks to move when your house has been on the market for a year and you're moving into less than 1800 sq ft?
It took them 3 weekends to move! And it just shows how lazy they are. They moved stuff the first weekend then came back to stay in the old house that week. And in that week they should have been working their asses off selling, donating, packing, and getting stuff in the garage to load the truck come the weekend. Then they stayed in the new house that week. Coming back on the weekend again to load the rest of the stuff up. They had the largest moving truck the first weekend and it looked packed. All that oversized furniture is going to make an 1800 sqft house look even smaller. They need to be selling more!
lmmomSD
Super Moddie
Super Moddie

Unread post by lmmomSD »

I get not wanting a used sofa, or mattress. But things like dining tables don't carry bed bugs or fleas, or anything like that. And you just know Katie will need the "best".
Thanksgiving is coming. Don't they usually go to Doc and Dolly's? It's going to be interesting to see how they spend the holidays.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Tayloch00
Amateur
Amateur
Been thanked: 0

Unread post by Tayloch00 »

I have a question. We all know that gaines first name is Macy. Why do do they confuse her like that like do her teachers call her gaines or Macy? Why didn't they name her Gaines?
Boymomma123
True Gossiper
True Gossiper

Unread post by Boymomma123 »

Tayloch00 wrote:I have a question. We all know that gaines first name is Macy. Why do do they confuse her like that like do her teachers call her gaines or Macy? Why didn't they name her Gaines?
Usually when you fill out paperwork for school enrollment it does have a place to but nicknames or the name your child prefers to be called even if it is not their legal name.

Cullen's first name is actually Nicholas and he goes by Cullen for whatever reason. Katie always claimed it was a southern thing. I know a few men who are named after their fathers yet go by their middle names to avoid confusion.

They claimed they went with Macey Gaines instead of Gaines Macey because it sounded better. Yet they always had the intention to call her Gaines. I am not sure why they wouldn't have just picked a middle name that went with Gaines to begin with. I feel like the poor kid will constantly be correcting teachers, coaches and future employers and acquaintances but to each their own I guess. If I were her I would legally change my name as an adult. My grandfather always went by his middle name and changed it officially when he was an adult.

lovingthisforum
Super Moddie
Super Moddie

Unread post by lovingthisforum »

lmmomSD wrote: Tue Nov 17, 2020 7:22 am I get not wanting a used sofa, or mattress. But things like dining tables don't carry bed bugs or fleas, or anything like that. And you just know Katie will need the "best".
Thanksgiving is coming. Don't they usually go to Doc and Dolly's? It's going to be interesting to see how they spend the holidays.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
Agree, I like to go to the thrift store once in a while (before covid) and also have some really nice peaces of furniture for instance. I would never buy a mattress there, but did purchase a suede couch because it looked very clean and on certain places still new. (I still cleaned it on the sitting area though.) I understand that they wanted to get rid of the heavy table, but they could have gone to the thrift store to look for a different one (including video content handed to them). Or to Ikea for that matter. Fumy thing is, now that i think about it, neither did Britney's husband make them a table. He could have done it for the cost price and they could have payed him extra for the work he put into it.

Are there thrift stores in the area they now live? Also, if Cullen would have had more of a say in their marriage, maybe they would have gone to a thrift store because Cullen isn't against it and even likes it (Katie is used to that being 'beneath' her or at least used to the idea that she doesn't need to do so). And if you sell your table on FB marketplace, then why not also look for one there, like someone mentioned before? Things just don't add up, they're contradicting themselves. Learning, being modest, paying off debt? Sure, Jan.
NormalName
Amateur
Amateur

Unread post by NormalName »

Boymomma123 wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 7:39 am
Tayloch00 wrote:I have a question. We all know that gaines first name is Macy. Why do do they confuse her like that like do her teachers call her gaines or Macy? Why didn't they name her Gaines?
Usually when you fill out paperwork for school enrollment it does have a place to but nicknames or the name your child prefers to be called even if it is not their legal name.

Cullen's first name is actually Nicholas and he goes by Cullen for whatever reason. Katie always claimed it was a southern thing. I know a few men who are named after their fathers yet go by their middle names to avoid confusion.

They claimed they went with Macey Gaines instead of Gaines Macey because it sounded better. Yet they always had the intention to call her Gaines. I am not sure why they wouldn't have just picked a middle name that went with Gaines to begin with. I feel like the poor kid will constantly be correcting teachers, coaches and future employers and acquaintances but to each their own I guess. If I were her I would legally change my name as an adult. My grandfather always went by his middle name and changed it officially when he was an adult.

It is kind of a southern thing. I am from the south, and I knew tons of kids who went by their middle name. Also when she was younger they were calling her “Macey Gaines” instead of just Gaines. I saw a lot of “double” names like that too. My brother even goes by his middle name. My mom knew what she wanted to call him, but she also wanted him to have her father’s name in there too. It just sounds better to be in that order. Kids going by their middle name really isn’t that uncommon, and it’s not really that difficult to say “I go by this name”

I think Cullen and Katie are stupid as hell, but I don’t really mind Gaines’s name
PirateWench8
Gossiper
Gossiper

Unread post by PirateWench8 »

This is correct. My oldest has the same first name as his father and paternal grandfather. My husband is a Jr, but our son has my Dad's first name for his middle name, because he was born on my Dad's 62nd birthday. So our son is called DJ, because his name is Donald John.
HashtagBlessed
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper

It comes from keeping a name going down the line, especially for males. Middle names became increasingly popular in the 19th century, but prior to that they weren't super common. By the early 20th century, it became much more common to give middle names, so men started going by their middle names to avoid confusion if they shared a first name. I'm not sure, but this might also correlate with the need for a unique legal name for federal and state record keeping purposes. So going by your middle name is a relatively new phenomenon because middle names are relatively new. Giving women "double names" has its roots in the migration of Scottish and Irish immigrants to the south and the popularity of 19th-century lyric poetry at the time.

For this reason, I don't think it makes a whole lot of sense to do this for a female child whose first name is not a family name? If I recall correctly, Gaines was a grandmother's surname and Macey was just something they liked? So it would be a lot more "traditional" for them to give their daughter a double name, but they seem to have dropped "Macey Gaines" for some reason. They referred to her by both names quite a bit when she was a baby, but have since stopped. Or, conversely, it would be more "traditionally southern" to give her a family first name, such as Katherine, but call her by her middle name. Giving her a first name with no family meaning, just because they liked the way it sounded at one point, with the intention all along for her to go by her middle name, seems odd to me. I wouldn't be surprised if they've dropped Macey because it's not their "taste" anymore, like all the big bulky furniture. I bet they wished they had just used Gaines as the first name.
lovingthisforum
Super Moddie
Super Moddie

HashtagBlessed wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 9:09 am I wouldn't be surprised if they've dropped Macey because it's not their "taste" anymore
LOL
lovingthisforum
Super Moddie
Super Moddie

As a catholic country, Belgium traditionally has 3 names. I am a first born and female, so I have my first name, then the name of the mother of my mother and the name of the father of my father. My brother is born second and boy so he has his first name, then the name of the father of my mother and the mother of my father. The first name is meant to be how the child will be called as his own personal name, and translated in English is called someone's 'call name' ; ). So if you fill in papers it says: Family name: ....; Call name:..... ; Initials: (2nd and 3rd name)...
Boymomma123
True Gossiper
True Gossiper

Unread post by Boymomma123 »

Must be nice to just take 3 weeks off from your job and not be concerned about your income. How hard is it to film for a few minutes and upload a video? Both the kids are out of the house. Must be nice to just take random breaks whenever you don't feel like adulting.

DarthMama
Talker
Talker

Unread post by DarthMama »

NormalName wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 8:42 pm

It is kind of a southern thing. I am from the south, and I knew tons of kids who went by their middle name. Also when she was younger they were calling her “Macey Gaines” instead of just Gaines. I saw a lot of “double” names like that too. My brother even goes by his middle name. My mom knew what she wanted to call him, but she also wanted him to have her father’s name in there too. It just sounds better to be in that order. Kids going by their middle name really isn’t that uncommon, and it’s not really that difficult to say “I go by this name”

I think Cullen and Katie are stupid as hell, but I don’t really mind Gaines’s name
I'm a Northern transplant in the south and this is correct. There are many kids in my kids' school that go by their middle names, more so boys but girls too. Typically first name is a family name and middle name is the liked name. We did the opposite, but my kids' have uncommon names and traditional first family names (oldest's middle name they are 4th gen with it and youngest's is two great great grandparent's name). So if they choose to use their traditional name when they grow up I won't be offended.
Creative74
Talker
Talker

Unread post by Creative74 »

Boymomma123 wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 2:04 pm Must be nice to just take 3 weeks off from your job and not be concerned about your income. How hard is it to film for a few minutes and upload a video? Both the kids are out of the house. Must be nice to just take random breaks whenever you don't feel like adulting.

Yep. They haven't even been posting much on IG. There is ZERO new content. How do they make money like this??
Lovethesnark
Extreme Gossiper
Extreme Gossiper

Unread post by Lovethesnark »

They’ve already booked their holiday sponsorships and the beginning of the year is slow for influencers so their numbers may not matter much right now. Their lack of consistency doesn’t really hurt them. People who watch their content now are committed to watching their content. They’ll view whatever and whenever they post.

NormalName
Amateur
Amateur

Unread post by NormalName »

Boymomma123 wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 2:04 pm Must be nice to just take 3 weeks off from your job and not be concerned about your income. How hard is it to film for a few minutes and upload a video? Both the kids are out of the house. Must be nice to just take random breaks whenever you don't feel like adulting.

For as long and hard that these two insist that YouTube is their full-time job, we sure aren’t seeing videos reflecting that. With both of them “working full time” that should be 80 hours a week put into making content.

Return to “Cullen and Katie”